CL-SOM-iMX8X: Yocto Linux: Manual Installation: SD card
This article provides instructions needed to install the Yocto Linux SD-card image on SD card using a Linux Host workstation. The image provides a full boot system including U-Boot, Linux kernel, device driver modules and example root filesystem.
- Obtain a Linux PC workstation.
- Obtain a USB Card reader and a micro-SD Card. Any commercially available micro-SD card of 4GB (or larger) may be used for the installation.
- Download the CL-SOM-iMX8X Yocto Linux package from CompuLab website.
- Unzip the package to a directory on the host workstation.
- The Yocto Linux SD-card image file, mentioned below, can be found in the images subdirectory.
- Plug the USB SD Card reader into the host PC. Insert the micro-SD Card into the USB Card reader. From now we assume the device name of the MMC/SD card on your Linux PC is /dev/sdX.
- Flash the image file to the micro-SD card:
bzcat ~/path/to/cl-som-imx8x-yocto-linux/images/cl-som-imx8x.sdcard.bz2 | sudo dd of=/dev/sdX bs=1M
Run Yocto Linux image
- Insert the micro-SD card into the SD card socket P13.
- Connect a standard USB cable (included in the kit) between your host PC and the evaluation kit micro-USB2.0 connector P12.
- Use a terminal emulator as described here
- Power on the system.
- The system will automatically boot into Linux.